Blackford Historical Society maintains an extensive archive of historical photographs relating to the village, its people and the surrounding area.
The gallery below shows a thumbnail copy of the photograph (click on the thumbnail to open a larger image) and a textual description with any information we know about the subjects. We would welcome any comments or additional information relating to each photograph to help us complete our records.
Please contact the Society Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org with any information or if you would like to enquire about the cost for high resolution copies of some of the photographs. Please quote both the number and title so we know which photo you are referring to.
001 - Black five passing Blackford
002 - The Games Committee, Blackford
Back row:?, Major Drummond-Moray (feudal superior), John Bennett (postman), ?, Theodore Brinkman (friend of Major Drummond-Moray.Businessman from the south.Annual shooting tenant at Carim Lodge on left hand side at cattlegrid on Sheriffmuir – was burned down by drunken gamekeeper’s wife, a Mrs McLaren.Organised annual gentlemen v locals cricket matchSecured the games park for the village from Keir and Cawdor who bought estate from Abercairney in c 1948). ?, John Hally (Blacksmith),?, John Taylor (Postman), R McIntosh (managed the gas works), Robert Taylor (Gas / Coke cart driver)
Front row: ?, ?, George Ferguson (milkman)
003 - Twa bairns
Richard and Fernie Fleming.Their father worked in the brewery.They lived in The Barracks (by the bus stop) then moved to Danny Cottage.
AA signs and milestones were removed in 1939 as part of World War 2 security measures.Two other AA mileage signs in Blackford:
1.On tree by bank at end of old bowling green indicating 4?? Miles to London.
2. On Donaldson’s fence – small cottage near station, indicated 2?? Miles to John O’Groats.Donaldson, the signalman was a great market gardener and kept the village supplied with vegetables.
005 - 5 a side winners
1932/33 Cup winners. Back row: R Gilmour (Forward) (Son of John Gilmour, coal and potato merchant.Lived in Liedon.Excellent football player), A Henderson (Goal Keeper) (lived in Danny Cottage. After he was paid off by W F Daborn due to a shortage of work as a plumber in 1935, he left Blackford to become a foreman with a plumbing firm in Glasgow. After WW2, he started his own business, and when his son, Alastair joined as an apprentice heating engineer in 1955, he was employing 100 plumbers and 30 heating engineers. He was born 4/2/1916 and died in Glasgow's Western Infirmary on 23/4/1988), Andy Thomson (Back)
Front row: W Thomson (Forward) (the Thomsons were brothers whose father came from Fife to work in the maltings), John Farquharson (Back) (Captain) (Grace’s brother who worked with Sweeney whose joinery was in McNaughton’s garage till the depression when he moved to Bathgate where he eventually took over a joiner’s business).
006 - Allanvale F.C. 1920`s
Outside Moray Institute - before small hall built.
007 - Benheath Falls Blackford
008 - Blackford Amateur Dramatic Society
Maisie Lambie, M Guthrie, Barbara Taylor, Ella King, N Younger.
009 - Blackford Bowling Club
Probably early 1920s. The house in the background is Mill of Ogilvie.
R D Harris (painter who was involved in most village things.Still in Games Committee after the war.Retired in 1950s.Lived opposite Blackford Inn in a tall house called “LawHar”.Law was from Mrs Harris’s maider name), Peter Watson, John Hally, G Ferguson, Albert Brown,John Connel, John Gilmore, D Henderson, J Elder, Lily Sharp, A Connel (photographer – mended bikes and cut hair), Geo Ferguson, W Henderson, A Peer
J Connal, J Edwards, W McBeth, A Deer (Head forester cottage opposite John Law), W Henderson.
The house in the background is Mill of Ogilvie.
010 - Blackford Brewery
Likely to be cooperage.Matches building in illustration in Noted Breweries of Britain and Ireland.
Went into liquidation 1927.Buildings demolished by 1933.At end of Kinpauch Road.The cooper continually drank.He had a daily allowance, plus returned barrels were tucked in the corner, where their contents were emptied by pipette for personal use instead of being emptied down the drain.
Firkins of beer (small barrels c 20 gallons) were sold by the brewery to local farmers at discount for threshings and sheerings. Willie McLaren’s grandfather used to cart 4 barrels (c112 gallons) to the station for 6d per load
011 - Blackford carters with Black Watch Territorials - 1914
Picture 035 is detail of this photo
The 3 carters are W McLaren, D McLaren and Malcolm Taylor.
Malcolm Taylor drove the “scaffy” cart with a horse borrowed from Kinpauch.This was the gas works cart.He gave up in 1947.
This photograph was taken in 1914 at the Volunteers Training Camp at Whitemuir.Carters took provisions from the station to the camp.Volunteers were organised by George Sharp who lived at Middleton House.
012 - Blackford from Kirk Brae
"Blackford viewed from Kirk Brae in 1910.The railway station opened for services on 22 May 1848 on the completion of the Stirling to Perth line by the Scottish Central Railway.It closed on 11 June 1956 and Mr William Duthie was the last station master.The line still operates, although the buildings, with the exception of the stationmaster’s house-come-ticket office, are gone.In the right middle distance, with its distinctive roof vents, is the brewery and maltings erected by W B Thomson Ltd from 1896.The company also produced aerated waters, but in the early 1900s when brewing suffered a slump, the “soft” and the “hard” sides of the business were separated.John Craik & Co of Perth bought the aerated water business and brewing ceased in 1915.In 1931, Veda Bread leased the maltings and they remain in the company’s possession.” – Alex F Young, Old Auchterarder, Blackford and Braco.
Valentine’s postcard registered 1910
Pre 1910 as Davey McLaren’s house was built in that year (per David Selkirk)
013 - Blackford Golf Club - 1920s
Back row: ?, ?, ?, ?, J Fairley, Willie Bennet, Rev P Milne, P Watson, ?, ?, J King, ?, R King, ?
Middle Row:?, ?, Miss L Sharp (daughter of Dr Sharp of Ollaberry in Shetland), Mrs Bennet
Front row:?, ?, Miss Minnie Bennet (Thistledome – sister of postman), Miss C Fraser (of New Inn), Margaret Fairweather, Mrs Milne (wife of Rev), Peg Fairweather (Manager of Co-op), Miss E Scobie.
The 9 hole golf course behind the parish church was the venue of the joint Sunday School Picnic 1926.Because of the General Strike there was no transport, so they walked to the picnic locally.
C1932 Major Drummond-Moray made arrangements with Gleneagles to give part of 9 hole course with proviso that Blackford people would be first on the list.
Edwin Haynes, son of Bella Fairweather suggests this would have been the late 1920s due to the age of his mother and aunt.
014 - Blackford Moray Street, looking North, New Inn
Pre 1939 as postcard postmarked 31/8/1939 has railings behind war memorial
Post 1922 - War Memorial built. Built on former bleaching green.BUT dissertation also says memorial unveiled in 1921. – Dissertation
Eadie’s Bakers Van stopped in 1938.At Tarneybackle ford, past Carsebreck to farms along the main road to Blackford, it was held up – “money or your life” – George Small – by horse.Lived next to shop in a cottage.He was Mrs Milne, the minister’s wife’s brother.Hally owned the bakery before Eadie.
015 - Blackford Primary School 1912 No 4
016 - Blackford Primary School c1936
Pre 1936 as David Younger left school then.
Back Row: Bob Campbell (father stone mason – 4 sons in war, 2 killed on last day).David Younger, ?, ?, ?, Stewart Logan (father signalman), ?, George Small, ?
Middle Row: Ella Banes (Policeman’s daughter), Gladys Copeland (Muriel House – farm where King James IV drank ale after coronation in Scone 1488),?, Betty Elder (farm worker), Margaret Inglis,?, ?, ?
Front Row: ?, Peter Blackwood (father farm worker at Bardrill), Willie Keir (4.5 miles to walk to school from back hills – now reservoir), Peter Milne (son of minister – became director of education for?), David Guthrie (station master’s son), Ian Stewart (became surgeon – father the banker), Robertson (Borland), David Rowe (father roadman),?
017 - Blackford Primary School around 1970
Back Row: Steven Wilson or Danny Rennie, Calum Wilson, Andy Small, Bryn Roberts, Graham Hally, Scott McKinlay, Steven Reid
Middle Row: Alison Small, Janette Taylor, Helen McGregor, Maureen Henderson or Susan Raith (her father was the local policeman before they moved to Perth), Rosemary MacEachen
Front Row:Brenda Rainey, Christine MacEachen, Ruth Shepherd, Helen Illand, Linda Dobbie, Gail Beamish.
018 - Blackford Primary School early 1900s
019 - Blackford Primary School 1912 No 3
020 - Blackford Primary School
G Logan, Ian Stewart, P Blackwood, G Logan, D Younger, D Guthrie
Teacher possibly Miss Stewart from Greenloaning who left in 1938
Front row: ?, ?, ?, W Wildman
021 - Blackford Primary School 1
Back Row: Peter Lawson, Bill Henderson, Ian Campbell, Lamont Brodie, Niel Ross, Ian Smith, Jimmy King, Robert Taylor
Middle Row: Robert Brodie, Mary Brown, Anne Taylor, Florence McBeth, Halliday, Margaret Cook, Helen Robertson, Bill Taylor
Front Row: Holmes, Margaret Guthrie, E Manson, ?, Greta Boyle, Mabel Stockman, Lawson, Biffy Clark
022 - Blackford Primary School - early 1900s
023 - Blackford Silver Jubilee Committee 1935
R McLaren, ?, Geo Hally, W Scobie, M Taylor, J Arnott (8 in row)
P Hally, R D Harris, ?, Geo Sharp, P Watson (6 in row)
D Tainsh, R Taylor, ?, A Kay, W Robertson, ?, J Nairn, Pullar (Headmaster)
J Taylor, ?, J Graham, J Edwards
024 - Blackford Tennis Club.
Same minister as in no 38?
Back Row: Andrew Small, R Gilmore, Don Campbell (son of builder), Isobel Hally (Maxton), Margaret Gardiner (mother of postman Alan), Mary Harris, Evelyn Morton (neice of Andrew and David Kay of Kay’s garage.David was in flying corps and invented autogyro.Andrew Kay’s wife was from Lewis and came as the district nurse), David Guthrie (son of stationmaster), Andrew Scobie.
Front Row: Cathy Harris (sister of Mary, married R Gilmore), May Clark (Mill of Ogilvie), Rev J Hall Batey (Free Church minister, previously school master in England), Nan Sweenie (daughter of joiner), Jim Scobie (butcher) (no relation to Andrew)
025 - Blackford Untitled 2
026 Mr Guthrie, Blackford Station
027 - Blackford Untitled
028 - Blackford Untitled
029 - Blackford wedding
Margaret Stockman, ?
030 - Blackford Games
Roy Taylor’s father is on right in foreground.
031 - Boglehowe Bridge Blackford
Registered with Valentine's 1898.
032 - Boot Factory, Gleneagles Cottage Stirling Street
Near the Cross on left hand side going north.Soldiers in the Boer War wore boots hand made in Blackford.Demise in 1920’s as could not compete with mass production.- David Selkirk’s talk.
White-haired central figure is J M Taylor, owner of boot factory.Grace Rankin worked there as a 15 year old as did Betty Stockman.Pay was 15s.When they turned 16, they got a 1s rise.Closed in 1937.Made boots for World War 1, also Gleneagles shoes (brogues).Became a mushroom factory, then taken over by a caravan company.The last manager, Mr Hart, became manger of Norwals boots.Photo includes Robert and Dan King (Grace’s uncles), Hector McFeat (back row), Helen and Minnie Bennett.
Information from Jeanette Miller, Alaska: Her mother, Jessie C Walker was born and raised in Blackford. Her grandfather, William Walker was the foreman of the factory. He is in the picture, standing in the third row, 10th from the left, and she believes his wife, Mary, is the woman in the background in front of the house on the left. She has been told they lived right next door to the factory. William and Mary Walker had six daughters. The oldest, Jean Diver, never left the village. She is seated on the right in the front row. She had two sons, Jim, who lives in England and Bill who lives in Glasgow. Two sisters emigrated to Australia and two to America. The other sister lived in Glasgow (see also photo 183).
Information from Margaret Littlejohn, Friends of MacRosty Park: Notes from obituary of James Taylor, Strathearn Herald, 18/5/1950. Death of Mr James M Taylor, aged 82. A noted Perthshire industrialist died at his residence, St Margaret's, Crieff. Founder of the Gleneagles Boot Factory, Blackford. Retired 1936. Started business towards the close of the last century. Output at first 200 pairs of footwear per week - nearly all hand labour. The firm introduced machinery at an early stage. After WW1, more machinery was installed. They specialised in golfers' and sportsmen's wear - known as Gleneagles brogues. He was a member of Blackford School Board before and after the war for 18 years. After retirement and until 1945, he was a member of the Education Committee of the County Council and a governor of Morrison's Academy. He was elected to Crieff Town Council in 1937 - Baillie 1942. He presented a piece of ground to the town of Crieff in 1938. He lived at Ogilvie Bank until 1919, when he moved to Dalnagar, Comrie Road, Crieff. In the 1901 census, his address was Victoria Place, Crieff, his age 33 and occupation boot manufacturer. His birthplace was given as Auchterarder. He was single at that time and she has so far been unable to find out if he married. There is no mention of a wife or family in the obituary.
Information from Alastair Henderson: His grandfather, William Henderson, is top, second left in the photograph. He worked for 50 years as a shoe / bootmaker and grave digger in Blackford. His working life ended when he retired from Saxons, Stirling, and they presented him with a beautiful gold pocket watch which Alastair inherited when his grandfather passed away at Strathearn House on 26/7/1970. He had been born on 30/8/1884
033 - Bowling Club
Outside Moray Institute? - before small hall built.
Back Row: ?, John Arnott, R D Harris, ?, ?, ?,Geo Ferguson, J Crerar, J Nellis, J Hally, ?, ?
Middle Row: ?, ?,?,?, ?,Andrew Connal, James King
Front Row: Geo Hally, John Gilmour, ?, ?, ?, Robert Ferguson, Geo Eadie, Geo Ferguson,?,?
Information from Karen Marr: George Ferguson in the picture, who married Mary Connall in 1909, was born in Craighead outside Thornhill. His father was Robert Ferguson, his mother Janet Anderson Haig Sharp of Rothesay in Bute. Robert's father too was Robert and he too was a blacksmith in the same shop. That Robert's wife was Helen Bryce of Kincardine by Doune. Robert's father was John Ferguson, married to Christine McGowan of Kincardine by Doune. Oral family tradition reports the Ferguson family came from Balquhidder originally but they have been traced back to the 1690s and they are in the Flanders Moss area then. George Ferguson was born in 1861. He was a butcher in his early years in Doune and Thornhill. He lived in Moray Street at this time and the time of his marriage to Mary Newbigging Connall. They had two sons, Robert and George in 1909 and 1911 respectively.
034 - Brewery Blackford
R&D Sharp as matches illustration of maltings in “Noted Breweries of Britain and Ireland”
035 Carters with Black Watch Territorials - 1914
This is part of photo 011.
Grace Rankin’s father told the story that the volunteers were looking for an escaped German prisoner of war (they were building Frandie reservoir) at Whitemuir when one volunteer mistook another for the escapee and was chasing him round a haystack.
036 - Church outing top of Stirling Street Blackford
Charabanc could have been Andrew and David Kay’s – they had the first in Blackford.
Standing: ?, Malcolm Taylor, ?, Ellie or Annie Taylor, ?
037 - Clincart Cottage Kinghorn drapers (nearest)1970s Moray Street
038 -Church of Scotland Indian dress c1910
Parish Church opened for worship 1858.The old church bell is held in the new church. - Morag Wilson
039 - Collecting for wounded, Games Park 1918
040 - Collecting for wounded, Games Park 1918
041 - Found In David Selkirk's loft (Tacoma) Think Ferguson
042 - Games Park, c1940s
Before small hall built
043 - Gleneagles House and Avenue
Valentine’s postcard.I have one postmarked 22/8/1922
“Gleneagles House, replacing the ruined 13th century castle, was the principal home of the Haldane family.The oldest part is seventeenth century and still has the simplicity of design of a house rooted in the land which generations have served.After the war, the Caledonian Railway - later the L.M.S. - usurped the name of Gleneagles for their new hotel which actually stood in Strathearn although with a view up the Glen.The use of the name caused grave offence to the Laird of Gleneagles, but behind the project lay powerful commercial interests which spotted the “majestic and romantic ring” of the name and would not be gainsaid.In those days of competitive railways the rolling slopes of Strathearn offered an opportunity for the L.M.S. railway to lure away from east coast rivals some of the profitable golf traffic previously directed to St Andrews”- accompanies this picture in Joan Macintosh’s Auchterarder in old picture postcards.
044 - Grace, 2nd Left, Tennis Hut Games Park
045 - Gyrocopter, Created ,Designed & built in Blackford
Second of three machines built, in old transport museum, Glasgow.
Invented by David Kay of Kay’s Garage.Patent ran out during his call up to RAF and was taken up by others.He received little credit – Dissertation
Willie McLaren was on holiday in Montana in 2000.Overnighting in Gordon, Nebraska, they found that the proprietor’s mother came from Perth.Her father was billeted in Blackford during World War 2 and told how Lt Sikorsky persuaded David Kay’s brother Andrew to show him the autogyro plans which he then copied and produced and patented the Sikorsky helicopter.David Kay, a pilot during the war was sent to Canada to train pilots then returned to train pilots at Scone.
046 - House on hill above Blackford
047 - Interior of `Auld Kirk` Blackford
Colour postcard published by Post Office
Built in 1671.The lychgate is one of only two surviving in Scotland, the other being in Paisley.Lych means corpse.It was here that the funeral party rested the coffin while awaiting the minister.In January 1715/16 the church was burned by rebels commanded by Clanranald.The lead communion tokens were taken to make bullets.In 1738, the church was used as the parish school.It was heated by peat fires.One day, in the schoolmaster’s absence, the boys amused themselves by throwing lighted peats at eachother.The church was burnt down.It was subsequently rebuilt on the same site.The manse was built in 1760 (Brookfield). - Morag Wilson
Story about school burning down is confirmed in dissertation - schoolmaster had gone to a curling match.New church was built in same year.
048 - James King & Fellow Platelayers Blackford
John Reid, James King (Grace Rankin’s uncle), Andrew Kay (cousin of the garage), David King (no relation of James).
They were lengthsmen employed on Caledonian railway, packing and maintaining.
049 - Joe & Grace Rankin's wedding St Andrews Church 1948
Organist Miss R Wilson
Rev J Hall Batey
Miss G Farquharson, Mr J Rankin
Last wedding in United Free Church of Scotland (April 1948).After reunion church named St Andrews.Members joined the parish church in 1950.
050 - Loaninghead from Cross Rd, Blackford
Pre 1904 as postcard postmarked that date.
051 - Mcfarlane, Headmaster, Blackford Pre 1900
052 - Moray Institute Blackford
Pre second world war - still has railings
Valentine’s postcard postmarked 11/8/1944
24/9/1887 a time capsule jar was placed in a cavity in the foundation stone.Institute was opened a year later - hall, library and reading room. Mr Moray of Abercairney donated site and free use of stone from the Banheath Quarry.- Dissertation
Registered with Valsntines 1910.
053 - Moray Street Blackford around 1960
054 - Moray Street looking East, Blackford 1930s
055 - Moray Street looking North, Blackford
“Moray Street from the west end in 1899.At that time, the Blackford Hotel on the Joiner’s Close corner, would indeed have been a coaching inn, serving carriages on the main Stirling to Perth road (now the A9 by-pass which was completed in 1982).The building beyond was the ‘Barracks’ (now Blackford House), and next to it is the arched entrance to what was then W B Thomson’s brewery.” - Alex F Young, Old Auchterarder, Blackford and Braco.
Valentine’s series postcard postmarked 8/7/1912
056 - Moray Street looking South, Blackford
“Blackford’s southern approach along Moray Street (named after the local laird, Moray of Abercairney) photographed in 1899 with the Moray Arms Hotel (now converted into flats) on the left and the Norman style ParishChurch (built 1850) on the right.Further along on the right was the Free Church, built in 1855-56 in the wake of the 1843 Disruption, but now the workshop of the blacksmith, John Hally.On Thursday 9 April 1914 this spire on the Free Church was shattered by lightning and the falling masonry killed Archibald Sinclair, an eighty-three year old retired estate contractor, who lived next door.” - Alex F Young, Old Auchterarder, Blackford and Braco. Information from Christine Ball - The two people walking towards us in the photograph are Margaret Jane (Daisy) (born 1892) and Lewis Maclachlan (born 1894), two of the three children of Rev D S Maclachlan (minister of the United Free Church in Blackford 1891-1928) and his wife, Maggie. Their other daughter, Esther, was born a couple of years before they arrived in Blackford. Daisy had a very happy childhood at the Manse, and even when her parents retired to Glasgow, they would return to visit old friends. After a spell at Morrison's Academy, she went on to study medicine in Glasgow and, on qualifying, did a spell of work in France for the Friend War Victims Relief Committee in the bombed out Sermaize les Bains (Marne) and in a maternity hospital set up in a nearby chateau. There she met Charles Wright, also with the FWRC and they were married by her father in Blackford in September 1918. Their youngest and only surviving child in 2010 was Brian (aged 81). Lewis also studied in Glasgow and went on to be a minister. He was married in Blackford in 1921 to Mary Hally, the baker's daughter.
Moray Arms was property of R&D Sharp - Noted Breweries of Britain and Ireland
Postcard Postmarked 1914.
Pre 1910 Inverlussa built in 1910 per David Selkirk. Registered with Valentines 1899 - this does not fit with the ages of Daisy and Lewis Maclachlan.
058 - Games Park
Sir Theodore Brinkman donating the 99 year lease of the Games Park to the Games Committee. The lease is on condition that games are held there annually. Also in the picture are George Lawson and Sir J.Hon.& Mrs. Campbell.
059 - Orchill House Blackford
060 - Taylor Family
Outside Lochleven, Moray Street 1918-1920
Annie, Robert (Nowie), Ella (Elsie), Peter, Amelia, Charles.
Peter is Roy Taylor’s father.
061 - Sale of work at Blackford or Tennis Club
Grace Rankin thought it was a sale of work, but Jessy Hally Cairns' daughter thought it was the tennis club in the 1920s. Jessie Hally Cairns was born at St Mungos Farm, Gleneagles 10/10/1904. She married Peter Campbell in 1931 and died in 1992. Her parents, Robert and Catherine Cairns, and their son John are buried in Blackford cemetery. Colin and Jackie Campbell who live in Blackford in 2015 lived at Blackholes, Glendevon. Colin's father was Peter Campbell's nephew. His mother, Mavis, died early 2015 and was buried in Blackford cemetery. The lady without a hat is the hotel keeper's daughter.
062 - School and Schoolhouse, Blackford
Built in 1870.Opened as a junior secondary school.Early part of 20th century united with free church school.
063 - St Andrews Kirk scaffolding after lightning
One of the stones killed a man (Sinclair) on the way home form the smiddy, where locals had congregated.
064 - St. Andrews United Free Church Blackford
Many people left established church in disruption of 1843. Only two elders were left in the old parish church.A temporary church was built in 1846 and permanent church in 1855/56.A school was built in 1848 (now Ogilvie House).I t was closed in 1900 and became a hall where grand soirees were held.It later became a cafe and is now a private house.A house for the teacher was also built (Maybank).The manse was built in 1850. In 1929, on the Church Union, the Free Church became a Church of Scotland charge.In 1950, with vacancies in both churches, they merged.The free church manse being retained.- Morag Wilson.
Confirmed by “Counties of Perth and Kinross - Parish of Blackford by DS Stewart, August 1950, revised 1963.
065 - St. Andrews Church - Struck by lightning, 1914
“On the day before Good Friday, in 1914, a sharp thunderstorm broke over the village.The Free Church spire was split and shattered and the church set on fire.An old man passing at the time was killed and several roofs around were damaged by flying masonry from the spire, which was rebuilt during the summer, the repairs being completed shortly after the outbreak of war.”- “Counties of Perth and Kinross - Parish of Blackford by DS Stewart, August 1950, revised 1963. – see also photo 056.
066 - Stirling Street Looking North
"Stirling Street, which pre-dates the parallel Moray Street, around 1909, with a family outside their home in Anderson’s Building on the right." -Alex F Young, Old Auchterarder, Blackford and Braco.
067 Stirling Street, looking South
Valentine’s series postcard. Also version titled Stirling Street, Blackford from E, no 63876. Registered with Valentines 1910.
068 - Strathallan Castle, Blackford
In book “Views of Auchterarder and District” published by Robt R Eason.Photos from Valentines
“Seat of the Viscounts of Strathallan from 1225 - a branch of the Drummond family, of whom three were attainted as Jacobites.In 1910, the family sold the estate to Sir James Roberts and during the First World War the castle with its fine gardens was used as a Red Cross convalescent hospital for wounded soldiers.After the rigours of the tranches it must have been a pleasant refuge.Scottish troops enjoyed teaching reels to their nurses.In the second World War Strathallan Castle was a school for girls evacuated from Glasgow.”- in Joan Macintosh’s Auchterarder in old picture postcards volume 2.
069 Sunday School Picnic 1920s
Is this later than 1920s???
Dave Wright, Duncan Davidson, Annie Mailer, Margaret Farquharson, Billy Younger, Geo Phillips, Nessie Wright, Etta Henderson
Grace Farquharson, Andrew Scobie, Charlie King, Margaret Stockman, Willie Taylor, Bobbie Gilmour, Mary Morrison, Cathie Henderson
Mary Mann, John Davidson, Dick Taylor, Robert Taylor, Hamish Bennett
070 - The Auld Kirk, Blackford Registered with Valentines 1910
071 - The River Allan passing Blackford
Valentine’s postcard postmarked 14/5/1938
072 - Track Laying squad, Blackford
073 - Twa Bairns 1
075 - Untitled
076 - Vale F.C. Blackford 1919-1920.
Back row: J C Doyall, C McEwan, ?, McIntosh, J Crerar, ?, R D Harris
Middle row: J Fitzpatrick R G King, J Hally, L Elder, A Malus
Front row: J Elder (2 in row)
These men built the comrades hut when they came back from the first world war